From: Sérgio Costa [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 9:39 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat's scalability

Be aware that Firewalls are known to drop idle TCP conections after a
certain amount of time.

We experienced a similar problem with a DB2 JDBC conection pool through a
Cisco PIX.

What was happening was the conections were closed by the firewall. When they
were re-used, there was an added overhead until Java noticed the socket was
closed, and the reconected it.

We solved it through firewall configuration.

Sérgio

On 6/20/06, Hyatt, Gordon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We had an application (with connection pooling and validation query)
> running on TC5.0.28 (now on TC5.5.17) connecting to MS SQL Server using
> the Microsoft JDBC drivers.  When tomcat and the database were on the same
> side of the firewall performance was great (averaged < 20ms obtaining
> connection and 2-3s running SELECT queries).  (Yes, I actually put tracing
> into the code that timed how long it took to acquire the connection, run
the
> query, and transmit the data back to the client.)
>
> Once we moved the tomcat server outside the firewall (an the SQL Server
> stayed inside), the performance degraded horribly (7-10s to obtain
> connection, 15-20s to run the simple queries (select by primary key), >
30s
> to run the more 'complex' queries, for example SELECT id, name,
description
> FROM single_table WHERE name LIKE '%a%';).
>
> As a test, I changed the database to PostgreSQL v8.0 (at that time it was
> still in beta), changed the driver, and ported the database (dropped all
> indices except primary key and foreign keys), the query results were
> dramatically different: < 500ms on any query I tried.  I had 2 instanced
of
> my app on the tomcat server, one using PostgreSQL, the other using MS SQL
> Server.  A member of the Network Team sat with me and opened both ports
> (1433 and 5432) to the database machine.
>
> I even reconfigured PostgreSQL to use the same port as SQL Server,
> restarted tomcat, ran a set of queries using one DB then the other
(shutting
> the first down, obviously).  The timing was still as dramatically
different
> as running on 2 different ports.
>
> I know there may have been configuration issues with the firewall that
> impeded the performance, but, unfortunately, that (the firewall
> configuration) was beyond my control.
>

> Basically, be warned: if you are running your connection to MS SQL Server
> (and using the Microsoft JDBC drivers) through a firewall, this MAY be one
> contributing factor of your poor performance.
>
> Just my $0.02.
>
> Gord

information, and may be used only by the person or entity to which it is