On 06/06/17 09:10, Piyush Kumar Nayak wrote:
> Thanks, Mark.
>
> Here are some additional details.

Thanks. These help a lot to make sure we are testing (at least roughly)
the same thing.

> I am using Apache JMeter to inject load. I am using a simple hello-world JSP.
>
> The test JMX simulates 100 concurrent user threads with a ramp-up of 5 secs
> and uses an HTTP Cookie Manager, that reuses cookies for each user thread.

I've disabled session in the JSP for my test and used a simpler JSP.
That should amplify any difference in connector performance.

I'm also testing on localhost.

> I have disabled access log in tomcat. All the other server.xml settings are
> the default.
>

> The BIO with Executor configuration we are using is:
> <Executor name="tomcatThreadPool" namePrefix="catalina-exec-"
>         maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="4"/>
>
> <Connector port="8080" protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol"
>                connectionTimeout="20000"
>                redirectPort="8443" />

FYI for anyone following along. That is a non-executor config. The
connector needs to specify the executor it wants to used.

I do see odd behaviour with BIO + executor. It locks up very easily. It
appears that the client isn't closing the connections. I don't see this
problem with BIO but that may be related to how BIO without an executor
handles large numbers of connections.

If I lower the client thread count, the odd behaviour stops and I do see
notably higher throughput with BIO + executor. That is unexpected.

My initial thoughts are maybe a contention issue related to the thread
pool. I'm continuing to investigate. I plan to look at performance first
and then the locking up.

Mark