-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:ch...@christopherschultz.net]
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 1:58 PM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Re: Errors establishing secure connections with tomcat 8.5.15

Hi Chris,

I 'm not adjusting the cipher suites in any way. My *.policy files are the
default ones that came with the JDK installation, same with the .security file.
The only thing I changed in that directory was adding the Unlimited Strength
policy JAR's.

As for the certificates, we are using self-signed RSA certificates.

On our older machines that are running Tomcat 7 and JDK 7, these certificates
work fine for our purposes and are still working. In these cases the handshake
uses the cipher ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256. But with Tomcat 8.5.15 and JDK 8
we have been getting error's with unsupported elliptic curve, even when it uses
the same or similar cipher suites.

Additionally I have tried debugging this with OpenSSL, but when trying to
connect it gives an error message "SSL routines:tls_process_ske_ecdhe:wrong
curve:ssl\statem\statem_clnt.c:2057:". Even when specifying curves and cipher
suites into the OpenSSL client connection, I continue to get this error.

The only thing that has come close to working for us is by using
"-Dcom.sun.net.ssl.enableECC=false" when starting Tomcat to disable all EC
ciphers, but Google Chrome won't accept the connection due to being unable to
find a common cipher suite.

________________________________
This e-mail transmission contains confidential information that is the property
of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any
retention, disclosure, reproduction or distribution of the contents of this
e-mail transmission, or the taking of any action in reliance thereon or
pursuant thereto, is strictly prohibited. No warranty is given by NYSIF that
this e-mail is free of viruses, interception or interference. NYSIF disclaims
liability for any unauthorized opinion, representation, statement, offer or
contract made by the sender on behalf of NYSIF. NYSIF's delegation of
authorities, setting out who may make representations or contract on behalf of
NYSIF, is available by contacting NYSIF at mail...@nysif.com. Jurisdiction for
all actions arising out of dealings with NYSIF shall lie only in a court of
competent jurisdiction of the State of New York