Roparzh,

On 7/20/2017 6:45 AM, Roparzh Hemon wrote:
>  Hello all,
>
>      I am currently unable to install Tomcat 9.0 on my Windows 10
> system (I didn't install any other version of Tomcat so far).
>      I've retried several times and the same problem appears over and
> over again :
>      The install process goes on smoothly with the install wizard, up
> to the point where I see the following output :
>
>      Installing Tomcat9 service
>      Apache Tomcat Setup
>      Failed to install Tomcate9 service.
>      Check your settings and permissions.
>      Ignore and continue anyway (not recommended) ?
>      Abort / Retry / Ignore
>
>    How exactly should I "check my settings and permissions"  ?
>    Any help appreciated.

I had no issue installing Apache Tomcat 9.0.0 M22 on my Windows 10
laptop as a service.

Here are the steps that I took.
0. I already have a folder: C:\Users\[username]\Apache
1. Make a new folder in that one - called apache-tomcat-9.0.0.M22
2. download apache-tomcat-9.0.0.M22.exe
3. launch the installer
4. Agree to the UAC prompt
5. Follow the install wizard
6. Didn't automatically start the service or read the readme.txt

To run:

1. open the start menu
2. browse to Apache Tomcat 9.0 Tomcat9
3. Start the Monitor Tomcat application
4. Dig the Monitor Tomcat application out of the hidden icons
5. Right-mouse click on the running Monitor Tomcat application
6. Select Start service
7. Browse to http://localhost:8080

All that being said, I don't normally run Tomcat as a service on my
development machines. I typically download the appropriate zip file,
unpack it somewhere, and run from that.

I find that the zip file installation integrates much more nicely with
various IDEs. In particular I use NetBeans 8.2, which uses the standard
manager interface for deploying applications. Eclipse with the JBoss
Tools plugin works OK as well.

As far as Macintosh vs. Windows vs. Linux . . . running Tomcat and a
J2EE IDE should be pretty much the same across all platforms.

I prefer Linux, use Windows (7 and 10), and don't (yet) own a Macintosh
(which explains why I don't answer Macintosh questions).

. . . just my two cents
/mde/