I think I've mentioned before that I have a Tomcat server on a Google Compute Debian instance, that I installed with an "apt-get," rather than from an Apache download.

I had to apt-get manager separately, which is odd to begin with.

And things ended up in unexpected places.

Some stuff (like the Catalina directory) wound up in /etc/tomcat7. Other stuff (like the bin and lib directories) wound up in /usr/share/tomcat7.

But the weirdest thing is where the webapp contexts wound up. The default ROOT context (which doesn't look quite like the default ROOT context of anything I've installed from an Apache download) is in /var/lib/tomcat7/webapps/ROOT. But the manager and host-manager webapps are in /usr/share/tomcat7-admin/manager and /usr/share/tomcat7-admin/host-manager.

Setting aside any questions of why whoever set this up for Debian did it this way, all of this still raises a very big question:

How is Tomcat finding all of this?

--
JHHL