On 08/09/17 23:00, Chris Cheshire wrote:
> In tomcat8, how do I go about configuring a Resources element to
> replace mod_alias directives in httpd?

<snip/>

> I have tried all kinds of variations of
>
>   <Resources>
>     <PreResources base="/var/cdn/sandbox1/images"
>                   className="org.apache.catalina.webresources.DirResourceSet"
>                   webAppPath="/images" />
>   </Resources>
>

> in my context.xml and I get nothing but 404s from tomcat.

Check the logs for error messages. You need "webAppMount" rather than
"webAppPath". The following works for me:

<Context>
  <Resources>
    <PreResources
        className="org.apache.catalina.webresources.DirResourceSet"
             base="/mnt/server01/pictures"
      webAppMount="/pictures" />
  </Resources>
</Context>

in $CATALINA_BASE/Catalina/localhost/ROOT.xml

HTH,

Mark