On 9/13/2017 9:49 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 05/09/2017 19:56, Yasser Zamani wrote:
>> Thanks a lot Mark!
>>
>> Yes I knew these and before tested that a tomcat with 400 max threads
>> "scalabilitaly is equal" to a tomcat with 200 max threads but with
>> servlet 3's async API including application's thread pool with size 200.
>>
>> However so far I thought Oracle's docs are like standards and tomcat
>> have to satisfy them :)
>
> Tomcat implements the Servlet, JSP, UEL, EL and JASPIC specifications.
>
> The document you refer to is not part of those specs and, as I said, it
> is misleading at best.
>
>>> That does increase scalability
>>> because rather than having a bunch of threads waiting for these
>>> non-blocking operations to complete, those threads can do useful work.
>>
>> But tomcat blocks another thread from container's thread pool for
>> waiting or locking on that non-blocking operation's response!
>
> As I said, if the async API is used to move a blocking operation from
> one thread to another, that won't improve scalability.
>
> You are only going to improve scalability if you move non-blocking
> operations from the Servlet.service() method (which has to block waiting
> for the non-blocking operation to complete) to the async API.
> Essentially, if you leave it in the service() method you have one thread
> allocated to each non-blocking operation.
>
> If the Servlet async API is used, the non-blocking operation is started
> and the container thread continues to complete the service method. The
> container thread is now free to do other useful work and the
> non-blocking operation isn't using any thread at all - and won't until
> the operation completes at which point it will require a thread to
> perform the dispatch back to the container and then to process that
> dispatch.

:S I apologize as I know that I fails to understand some points again.
Please excuse me bothering you.

The non-blocking operation isn't using any thread at all ?! So which
thread executes my Runnable passed to startAsync? At my first initial
mail, I see Tomcat passes that to it's thread pool. If I define my
non-blocking operation (that Runnable) as
System.out.println(Thread.getCurrentThread.getName()), I'll see
"http-nio-exec-XX which means Tomcat's thread pool has been allocated a
thread for my Runnable non-blocking operation. However, maybe you mean a
real IO wait as non-blocking operation.

Let forget scalablity. Could you please define an example business
operational and functional scenario which using Servlet's async API
improves or resolve it in such way that could not being improved or
resolved with NIO and increasing maxThreads and maxConnections?