On 23/09/17 13:15, Alex O'Ree wrote:
> Is there an approximate or estimated date in which ASF will stop
> supporting patches for Tomcat7?

Best guess that is at least two to three years away.

> I'm assuming that the tomcat major versions are tied to oracle's
> support for the JRE, which implies that when oracle stops supporting
> JRE7 that tomcat7 support will stop around the same time. Is that more
> or less accurate?

No.

Tomcat major versions are tied to Java EE versions and we currently
support 3 versions in parallel.

Java EE 8 -> Tomcat 9
Java EE 7 -> Tomcat 8
Java EE 6 -> Tomcat 7

Prior to Oracle's announcement of the Java EE donation to Eclipse, my
answer would have been:

Tomcat 10 will support Java EE 9. Once the release date for Java EE 9
looks fairly certain, we'll announce EOL for Tomcat 7. We will give at
least 12 months notice.

Oracle's donation of Java EE to Eclipse the name of what Tomcat 10 will
support is uncertain at this point. Timing wise things are also
uncertain at this point. Based on previous Java EE timescales, at least
2-3 years looks likely.

Mark