> Hi Kolinko,
>
> I have now removed the ResourceLink and left with Resource in my context.xml
> which is resided at WebContent/META-INF.
>
> And this is C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
> 8.0\conf\context.xml
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <!--
>   Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more
>   contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
>   this work for additional information regarding copyright ownership.
>   The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
>   (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
>   the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at
>
>       http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
>
>   Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
>   distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
>   WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
>   See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
>   limitations under the License.
> --><!-- The contents of this file will be loaded for each web application
> --><Context>
>
>     <!-- Default set of monitored resources. If one of these changes, the
> -->
>     <!-- web application will be reloaded.
> -->
>     <WatchedResource>WEB-INF/web.xml</WatchedResource>
>     <WatchedResource>${catalina.base}/conf/web.xml</WatchedResource>
>
>     <!-- Uncomment this to disable session persistence across Tomcat restarts
> -->
>     <!--
>     <Manager pathname="" />
>     -->
>
>     <!-- Uncomment this to enable Comet connection tacking (provides events
>          on session expiration as well as webapp lifecycle) -->
>     <!--
>     <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.CometConnectionManagerValve"
> />
>     -->
> </Context>
>
> And here's my web.xml :
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <web-app xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";
> xmlns="http://xmlns.jcp.org/xml/ns/javaee";
> xsi:schemaLocation="http://xmlns.jcp.org/xml/ns/javaee
> http://xmlns.jcp.org/xml/ns/javaee/web-app_3_1.xsd"; version="3.1">
>   <display-name>Hi5S</display-name>
>   <welcome-file-list>
>     <welcome-file>Index.jsp</welcome-file>
>   </welcome-file-list>
>   <resource-ref>
>     <description>MySQL Datasource</description>
>     <res-ref-name>jdbc/hi5</res-ref-name>
>     <res-type>javax.sql.DataSource</res-type>
>     <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
>   </resource-ref>
>
> </web-app>
>
> The error remains the same and my Tomcat failed to start, despite I cleaned
> them etc etc.

> [...]

Mailing list rules:
http://tomcat.apache.org/lists.html#tomcat-users
-> Top-posting is bad.

1. See a link to Eclipse IDE FAQ here:

https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Developing#Q6

2. See the following thread on how to turn on "Publish module context
to separate XML files" option in Eclipse.

By default (without that option) Eclipse IDE places <Context> elements
into server.xml, which is a rather discourage practice.

http://markmail.org/message/7zkyocvph56b6t6q

3. Documentation on Context:

The <Context> element in your context.xml has a lot of attributes that
should not be there, starting with "debug". What (bad) example were
they copied from?

4. The current version of Tomcat 8.0 is 8.0.46.
There were security fixes in Java as well (8u141 was a security update
in July 2017)

Also EOL date for Tomcat 8.0 has been announced. Users are advised to
migrate to 8.5.
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-80-eol.html

5. Your META-INF/context.xml is broken:
[[[
<Resource>  // here is rogue ">", thus your Resource has no name (all
the following is plain text, not attributes) and thus NPE happens
    name="jdbc/hi5"
    auth="Container"
    type="javax.sql.DataSource"
    maxTotal="8"
    maxActive="100"
    maxIdle="30"
    maxWait="-1"
    username="root"
    singleton="true"
    override="true"
    factory="org.apache.tomcat.jdbc.pool.DataSourceFactory"
    password="password"
      alternateUsernameAllowed="true"
    driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
    url="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/hi5" />  // You either use /> or
</Resource>, not both.
  </Resource>
]]]

Best regards,