Oliver,

On 9/26/17 4:57 AM, Oliver Heister wrote:
> I have two suggestions:
>
> 1. The table on http://tomcat.apache.org/whichversion.html has a
> column “Supported Java Versions” which has entries like “8 and
> later”.  My understanding from e.g.
> https://marc.info/?l=tomcat-dev&m=150617891913261&w=2 is that
> currently no stable tomcat release supports Java 9 yet.
>
> IMO a remark regarding Java 9 should be added to
> http://tomcat.apache.org/whichversion.html .

Sounds good. I don't know of anything specific that does NOT work with
Java 9, but markt has been following the pre-releases of Java 9 pretty
closely, and has made adjustments (mostly disabling various
workarounds for bugs in previous JVMs) accordingly. There may be some
NEW items that may need to be worked-around -- those usually turn out
to be various ClassLoader-pinning memory-leaks -- but my guess is that
most Tomcat versions will work just find under Java 9 without any
special effort.

Could you try (the latest patch-level of) whatever version of Tomcat
you are currently using with Java 9 and let us know how things go?

> 2. Currently MITM attacks by evil ISPs or WiFi networks are
> possible against people downloading tomcat from
> http://tomcat.apache.org/download-80.cgi . (The page has links to
> PGP, md5 and sha1 hashes for validation, but the links are on a
> http page that does not redirect to https. This means they could be
> replaced in case of MITM.)
>
> IMO a HTTP 301 redirect to the https version and HSTS headers
> should be added to http://tomcat.apache.org/ .

Agreed about the redirect... not so sure about HSTS, as that affects
the whole domain.

> Should I try to submit issues in Bugzilla for both?

Yes, please. Post-back with URLs to the BZ issues you raise.