I use Maven for the actual build. I use these dependencies (with 9.0.0.M26):

        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.tomcat.embed</groupId>
            <artifactId>tomcat-embed-core</artifactId>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.tomcat.embed</groupId>
            <artifactId>tomcat-embed-el</artifactId>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.tomcat</groupId>
            <artifactId>tomcat-juli</artifactId>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.tomcat.embed</groupId>
            <artifactId>tomcat-embed-websocket</artifactId>
        </dependency>

And use the Capsule Maven Plugin to build the actual runtime (better
isolation than a shaded JAR):

<plugin>
    <groupId>com.github.chrisdchristo</groupId>
    <artifactId>capsule-maven-plugin</artifactId>
    <version>${capsule.maven.plugin.version}</version>
    <executions>
        <execution>
            <goals>
                <goal>build</goal>
            </goals>
            <configuration>
                <appClass>your.main.class.here</appClass>
                <type>fat</type>
            </configuration>
        </execution>
    </executions>
</plugin>

And then the actual bootstrap would look like this:
https://paste.apache.org/vVNs (I put it in a paste since it's pretty long).