Chris,

Thanks for the corrections.

>>In fact, I think you are using PEM-encoded DER files and not a
>>packaged keystore, even though your SSLHostConfig's keystoreType is
>>set to "PKCS12".

Yes, I am using PEM files.  Got to read more on DER files.  So do I just
drop the keystoreType="PKCS12"  from the connector?

>I'll have to triple-check, but I believe you can put all certificates
>into a single file like you can do with httpd. Just make sure that
>your server's certificate (leaf) is listed first, then the
>intermediate certificate(s), then the root certificate. Usually you do
>not need to supply the root certificate since most clients should have
>the root certificates available already.

I'll give that a try.

>Use SSL Labs' SSLTest[1] to help make sure you don't have too little
>or too much in your certificate. Too little and your clients will get
>trust errors. Too much and you'll be wasting bandwidth

Will do

>If there's anything inaccurate on the Tomcat site

No, I was talking about other sites, not the Tomcat site.  I've been
reading all over the internet for that which seems related.  My statement
was a caution to not believe everything you read.  'Trust but verify'

Your e-mail has been very helpful, not only to me, but I believe to
others.  With respect to the Tomcat site, I think a
lot of what you wrote would be very helpful there.  For example, the Tomcat
write up on SSL describes how to do self signed certificates and
fleetingly mentions
that if you have a certificate from a CA that you could use e.g. openssl
and then refers the reader to their java documentation and openssl
documentation.  Not too helpful to the security/Tomcat novice.

Thanks for your patience and help.
Don