On 01/12/17 15:16, Chris Cheshire wrote:
> Interesting take on 'beta', in all my years writing software I haven't
> seen that used before.
>
> I ask because I saw it has recently gone from milestones, to release
> candidates to beta with different point versions. I didn't know if I
> had missed something in between :)

Every announced release is an official release.

Prior to a release announcement there will be a vote on the release
candidate. If the release vote passes, the release candidate becomes the
release. If the release vote fails, that version number is not used and
we move on to the next one.

In terms of the designations we use, they have evolved a little over
time but they have been stable during the life of 9.0.x. They are:

- Milestone - Specification JARs not complete
- Alpha     - Specification JARs complete, other stuff (including the
              implementation of the specification) not complete
- Beta      - Feature complete, not production ready
- Stable    - Production ready

For 9.0.x we were stuck on milestone releases for almost two years
because of the general delays in progressing Java EE 8 (of which Servlet
4.0 is a part). We couldn't consider the specification API
implementation complete until the specification was declared final.

We skipped alpha releases for 9.0.x because Tomcat 9's Servlet 4.0
implementation was already complete when Servlet 4.0 was declared final.

Hence we are currently on beta releases. How long we stay on beta before
declaring a release stable will depend on the feedback we can from users
regarding stability. At the moment things look pretty good and my guess
is that the first stable release will be some time in Q1 2018.

Mark