Chris

Thanks again taking the time to help.  Please see below.

>>> So I would recommend a separate CATALINA_BASE for each application's
>>> support for a major Tomcat version. Note that you are welcome to
>>> share WAR files for an application.
>>>
>>> Example:
>>>
>>> Tomcat 6 CATALINA_BASE:
>>> bin/setenv.sh
>>> conf/server.xml
>>> conf/context.xml
>>> conf/web.xml conf/Catalina/localhost/mywebapp.xml [
>>> references C:\apps\myapp.war ]
>>>
>>> Tomcat 8.5 CATALINA_BASE
>>> bin/setenv.sh
>>> conf/server.xml
>>> conf/context.xml
>>> conf/web.xml
>>> conf/Catalina/localhost/mywebapp.xml [
>>> references C:\apps\myapp.war ]
>>>
>>> In this way, your CATALINA_BASE directory only contains a handful of
>>> configuration files (plus the work/ directory, but you let Tomcat
>>> worry about that).
>>
>> We host multiple apps.  So each app instance would require its own
>> CATALINA_BASE for each instance of Tomcat?  This is beginning to sound
>> like a matrix nightmare.  :-)
>
> It's just more XML files. They will often look the same.

OK, it's finally beginning to dawn on me.  If I understand correctly, what
you're saying is that each app (context) would have its own instance of tomcat
running.

I was hoping to have only one instance of tomcat per tomcat version running.
So if I wanted to run tomats 6.x and 8.5.x, there would only be 2 instances, 2
server.xml files, and 2 listening ports.  I hoped to have a setting in each
server.xml point to a different location for the webapps folder.  That
alternate webapps folder could be shared between instances, no matter what
version they are.  Just plop a new application into relocated webapps folder
just like you would normally in $CATALINA_HOME/webapps.

Sorry, it was my misunderstanding of what CATALINA_BASE was for.  When I think
of "documents", I think of "webapps", not "conf".

--
Cris Berneburg
CACI "still struggling" Software Engineer