Thomas,

On 12/21/17 5:24 PM, Thomas Delaney wrote:
> Thank you for the input so far!
>
> I have used both java versions jdk 1.7.0_79 and jdk1.8.0_152 and
> still receive the same result
>
> when running the openssl s_client command I recieved this as the
> Cipher and SSL version Protocol  : TLSv1.2 Cipher    :
> DHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384

Good, OpenSSL can connect which means that TLS is at least set up
properly and running.

> I also get a message saying  "verify error:num=20:unable to get
> local issuer certificate" "Verify return code: 20 (unable to get
> local issuer certificate)"

That's not a problem, especially if you are using a self-signed
certificate or a CA that OpenSSL doesn't recognize.

If you can't use SSLLabs's test, you might be able to use this one:
https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/tools/SSLTest.java
(and)
https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/tools/SSLUtils.java

- -chris