> On Jan 4, 2018, at 1:53 AM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> This might help.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6TbMqH9WFg
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6TbMqH9WFg>
It was, along with the script (after a little search and replace on / and \).

I have just walked through this and worked alongside with the script. All
seemed to go well, nice to see that experienced presenters fumble passwords and
forget to clean out old files, but I’m not quite there. Learned a few things
about setting defaults in openssl.cnf do I don’t have to retype and get it
wrong from one step to the next (did I do uppercase or lowercase last time?).

The log shows that tomcat is running, I see it listening on port 8443, but it
times out. It’s literally 10 feet from me, one hop via my wireless router, so
I’m pretty confident it’s not a network error.

Is there a way to run tomcat with no encryption at all? The system it runs on
sits on a table across the room and is behind a router on a private network. I
may never need encryption if the application itself doesn’t work. So the fact
that this is so fiddly to get working chafes a bit. The only reason I need
tomcat is to run another application which has its own
configuration/documentation/deployment issues and I can’t get to that til this
works. If my nginx instance is encrypted, do I need tomcat to be as well? Can I
forward requests to it that are already encrypted, all through nginx?

What might be useful, as well, is a similar script, with or without video, that
explicitly details using LetsEncrypt certs with tomcat. This makes tomcat more
accessible and perhaps increases the use of reliable encryption for more sites
and services.