Hi Mark

Please follow the second link I gave in my original post -
https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/html-manager-howto.html#Deploy_a_Directory_or_WAR_by_URL

My original post explains what I am trying to do. Here is the extract from the
link above which gives the Apache documented syntax that I am trying to use.

Kind regards
Mark

<<Deploy a Directory or WAR by URL
Install a web application directory or ".war" file located on the Tomcat
server. If no Context Path is specified, the directory name or the war file
name without the ".war" extension is used as the path. The WAR or Directory URL
specifies a URL (including the file: scheme) for either a directory or a web
application archive (WAR) file. The supported syntax for a URL referring to a
WAR file is described on the Javadocs page for the java.net.JarURLConnection
class. Use only URLs that refer to the entire WAR file.
In this example the web application located in the directory C:\path\to\foo on
the Tomcat server (running on Windows) is deployed as the web application
context named /footoo.
Context Path: /footoo
WAR or Directory URL: file:C:/path/to/foo
In this example the ".war" file /path/to/bar.war on the Tomcat server (running
on Unix) is deployed as the web application context named /bar. Notice that
there is no path parameter so the context path defaults to the name of the web
application archive file without the ".war" extension.
WAR or Directory URL: jar:file:/path/to/bar.war!/
Deploy a Directory or War from the Host appBase
Install a web application directory or ".war" file located in your Host appBase
directory. If no Context Path is specified the directory name or the war file
name without the ".war" extension is used as the path.
In this example the web application located in a subdirectory named foo in the
Host appBase directory of the Tomcat server is deployed as the web application
context named /foo. Notice that there is no path parameter so the context path
defaults to the name of the web application directory.
WAR or Directory URL: foo
In this example the ".war" file bar.war located in your Host appBase directory
on the Tomcat server is deployed as the web application context named /bartoo.
Context Path: /bartoo
WAR or Directory URL: bar.war>>

Mark Sandels |Senior Systems Analyst/Programmer|IM & T Services - Integration
Services Team |Manor House Annexe Room G22, Oxford University Hospitals NHS
Trust , Headley Way, Headington, Oxford OX3 9RR |Phone:  01865 (5) 72103 |
Email: mark.sand...@ouh.nhs.uk NHS colleagues can visit the OUH IM&T Services
intranet site at http://ouhimt.oxnet.nhs.uk