Cris,

On 8/22/18 11:22 AM, Berneburg, Cris J. - US wrote:
> Chris
>
> [combining messages]
>
> cjb> Am I mistaken, but does vulnerability scanning software cjb>
> seem to feed on that sort of thing?
>
> cs> Most vulnerability scanners just try to detect your server's
> cs> version and look-up any publicly-reported vulnerabilities in
> cs> e.g. NVD. They are really stupid tools for the most part.
>
> cs> If you hired a real pen tester, they would probably run one cs>
> of those scanners first just to get some intel and then cs>
> dive-into attacking your application e.g. with request- cs>
> parameter munging.
>
> I failed to mention that a vulnerability scanner being used
> actually follows paths in the source code.  I inferred that a
> clever hacker could figure out how to discover and exploit the
> vulnerabilities, that the scanner revealed, by reloading pages and
> varying parameters.

You mean the source-code of the web page, right?

Yeah, these used to be called "web spiders". They are still really dumb.

What happens when it hits a login page? Can it authenticate and scan
the application internally?

> cs> One of the ways I have kept my code as maintainable as
> possible cs> is by not using JSPs :)
>
> OK, I'll bite.  What do you use instead of JSP?
>
> [Chris S. replies, "Yes, folks - hook, line, AND sinker!"]  :-)

$ find web -type f | sed -e "s/.*\.//" | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr
 413 vm
 182 png
  65 jpg
  63 xsl