Mark,

On 9/14/18 08:34, Mark Thomas wrote:
On 14/09/18 13:11, Tim K wrote:
Using latest Tomcat 9.0.11.  I'm using the securePort attribute
for both the NioReceiver and StaticMembers but when capturing and
inspecting the traffic over the secure ports with WireShark, I'm
seeing all my session data in clear text, even my username as
password (user principal)!  I tried removing the port attribute
from both, elements, leaving just the securePort there but this
does not encrypt the traffic.

To my knowledge, the port was added but TLS was never implemented.
It may be better if we remove that code entirely. Why you'd want a
secure port and an insecure port at the same time for a cluster
never did make much sense to me.

The typical TLS configuration is a poor choice for clusters It
would require quite a lot of configuration. Encryption based on a
pre-shared private key would be a better approach.

Why?

Long (and bitter) experience tells me that most folks have a hard time setting up TLS so it works. Generating a single file (for the shared secret - which we can easily provide a script to generate) and copying that one file to multiple machines is a much simpler process.

Each server with a server-cert and each client with a bag of
trusted certs doesn't seem that big of a deal. Even
mutual-authentication just adds another bag of trust on each server
and a client-cert on each client. If you set up a private signing
authority, it gets even easier.

But I agree, there shouldn't be two ports to configure. Just one, and
if we decide to add encryption, you should just be able to say "yes,
please" and have it work over the same port... assuming all nodes are
configured the same, of course.

Applying encryption shouldn't be too hard, code-wise, if all we wanted
to do was encrypt each message going over the (otherwise plaintext)
wire. Each node needs to know the encryption flavor in use (cipher,
padding, etc.) and a pre-shared key. That's just two configuration
elements in server.xml and one of them (the cipher) can default to
something reasonable such as AES/CBC/PKCS5Padding.

This would be a good Google Summer of Code project, though it wouldn't
actually take that long. Maybe Google Midsummer of Code :)

Worth adding a BZ enhancement for this.

Mark