Hi Folks

I upgraded Java from 8u181 to 8u191 on our dev (JDK) and test (JRE) Windows
2012 servers today.  After doing so, the Tomcat 8.5(.32) Windows services would
no longer start.  Removing and re-adding the service fixed the service.  I
don't remember having to re-install the TC Windows services after upgrading
Java previously.  Is that normal?

1. Stop TC Windows Service.
2. Uninstall old Java.
3. Install new Java.
4. Update Windows environment var - JAVA_HOME for dev, JRE_HOME for test.
5. Try to start TC Win Service - Fail.  Helpful error code of "1".  Windows
Event Log says "incorrect function".
6. Run startup.bat manually from a command prompt - worked.
7. Run shutdown.bat to stop the manual startup.
8. Close Windows Services panel.
9. Delete TC Win Service with "Service.bat remove".
10. Recreate TC Win Service with "Service.bat install".
11. Open Windows Services panel.
12. Modify TC Win service to automatic start.
13. Start TC Win Service - OK.

Please note that I did not reboot the servers between steps.

Does the TC executable write Java-specific info to the Windows registry (or
something) that locks the service to a specific Java location or version?  I
don't see any registry commands in the service batch file.

--
Cris Berneburg
CACI Lead Software Engineer