I found this to be easier to accomplish (and maintain):

add to the Host section of server.xml:
<Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve"
showReport=false" showServerInfo="false" />

(this will disable the tomcat version number and the stacktrace  - the
defaults for these are "true")