John,

On 2/11/19 10:46, John Palmer wrote:
> (I'm new to using TC-native, interested in how to accomplish "In
> security conscious production environments, it is recommended to
> use separate shared dlls for OpenSSL, APR, and libtcnative-1, and
> update them as needed according to security bulletins. "

For Windows, you are better off using the all-in-one statically-linked
DLL provided by the Tomcat team. If you really want separate ones,
you'll need to build everything yourself.

I think that quote is easy to misinterpret. The problem is not the
fact that the library is statically-linked and therefore less secure.
The problem is that the native library bundles 3 separate packages:
Apache Portable Runtime (APR), OpenSSL, and Tomcat's native library
(libtcnative). Because they are bundled together, you cannot upgrade
any single one of them independently of the others.

If APR publishes a fix for a vulnerability, you cannot upgrade just
apr-x.y.z.dll to get that fix. Instead, you'd have to wait for the
Tomcat team to publish an updated bundle that includes that new
version. Save with OpenSSL, etc.

In general, the Tomcat team tries to keep on top of the latest news
and releases from both APR and OpenSSL, so you shouldn't have to wait
too long between a newly-published version of APR or OpenSSL and a new
release of tcnative.

If you have the capability of building your own libraries, then you
can always get the latest from the upstream source and stay even more
up-to-date than you would is you wanted for the releases from Tomcat.

> Apparently I need a concrete example (step-by-step, where to get
> the dlls, where to put them (and make sure tomcat finds them)
> etc...   preferably I wouldn't have to compile anything myself.

If you don't want to compile yourself, you'll need to trust ...
someone else. The Tomcat team only publishes the all-in-one DLL.

I would question whether or not you really need libtcnative at all.
Are you going to be using a Tomcat installation without any kind of
load-balancer or reverse-proxy in between it and your users?