Dheeraj,

On 2/15/19 04:08, dheeraj joshi wrote:
>> I am getting warning “Setting property 'digest' to 'SHA-256' did
>> not find a matching property” in tomcat9-stderr.log  when I use
>> attribute "digest" in realms.
>>
>> Snip from server.xml that i am using when i get error -
>>
>> <Host name="localhost"  appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true"
>> autoDeploy="true">
>>
>> <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.MemoryRealm"
>> digest="SHA-256" />
>>

>> If I remove digest="SHA-256" from line <Realm
>> className="org.apache.catalina.realm.MemoryRealm"
>> digest="SHA-256" /> and restart tomcat service , I don’t see this
>> warning after it.
>>

>> I did search for similar error reported by other users on
>> internet but couldn’t confirm whether I am doing correct
>> configuration. Some people say that digest attribute is removed
>> since Tomcat 8.5 while some suggested me to use CredentialHandler
>> sub element rather than using digest.
>>

>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41325893/tomcat-form-based-authen
tication-datasourcerealm-configuration-errors

,
>> https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tomcat-dev/201511.mbox/raw/
%3c564a60fb.70...@gmail.com%3e

I couldn’t find  public documentation from Apache foundation confirming
>> that digest should not be used with Tomcat 9 . When I check docu
>> provided with Tomcat 9 I don’t see attribute named digest listed
>> under Memory Based Realm section
>>

>> https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/config/realm.html#Memory_Bas
ed_Realm_-_org.apache.catalina.realm.MemoryRealm

Can you confirm whether digest attribute can be still used in Tomcat 9 i
>> realms, if yes then what should be the correct syntax to use it.
>> If the use of digest is deprecated what should I be using
>> instead?
>>

>> I have been using digest attribute in previous versions of Tomcat
>> in realms and it used to work fine , problem is after Tomcat
>> upgrade from Tomcat 6 to Tomcat 9.

Peter has the correct answer in another reply, but I'd like you to
consider whether or not using SHA-256 is something you actually want
to do.

Using a plain "digest" for password-munging is really insufficient for
password-storage these days.

Please give this presentation a good read-through to see how you can
do a LOT better for your users:

http://people.apache.org/~schultz/ApacheCon%20NA%202017/Seamless%20Upgra
des%20for%20Credential%20Security%20in%20Apache%20Tomcat.pdf