Nice test case.  Is the JVM able to garbage collect fast enough?  Are
you releasing the resources properly in your components as early as
possible?  Java VM's achieve a steady-state after a certain period of
time, but I've found in some cases garbage collection doesn't keep-up
with my load tests before steady state is reached.  Just an idea.
Again - nice test. :)