From: Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2019 9:02 AM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Re: OCSP Connector on Tomcat 8.5 not working

On 20/06/2019 16:19, Michael Magnuson wrote:
> Mark,
>
> Tomcat version 8.5.41 and TCNative version 1.2.21.

There is a OCSP related bug in 1.2.21 but that should not affect you
since the client certs have a responder URL.

8.5.41 isn't the latest but there aren't any OCSP related changes in
8.5.42 or any known bugs I can think of so you should be OK there as well.

I'm assuming that Tomcat Native was built with OCSP support. That is the
default on Linux and I can't think of a good reason why it would be
explicitly disabled.

<snip/>

>> My connector configuration is as follows:
>>
>>  <Connector port="8443" protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol"
>>                 maxThreads="150" SSLEnabled="true"
>>                 scheme="https" SSLEnabled="true"
>>                 SSLCertificateFile="path_to_server.crt"
>>                 SSLCertificateKeyFile="path_to_server.key"
>> SSLPassword="password"
>>                 SSLCertificateChainFile="path_to_chain"
>> SSLProtocol="TLSv1.1+TLSv1.2"
>>                 clientAuth="want" trustStoreFile="path_to_truststore"
>> trustStorePass="password"
>>                 caCertificateFile="path_to_ca_file"
>>                 certificateVerification="require"
>>                 certificateVerificationDepth="10" >
>>       <Certificate
>>                 certificateFile="path_to_OCSP_signing_cert"
>>                 certificateKeyFile="path_to_OCSP_public_key" />
>> </Connector>

That is a mix of deprecated 8.0.x style config and incorrect (you can't
nest a <Certificate.../> directly inside a <Connector.../>) 8.5.x
onwards style configuration.

There also appears to be a few JSSE attributes (trustStore*) amongst a
lot of OpenSSL attributes.

I'm surprised there isn't something in the logs complaining about the
configuration.

I'm not sure what the <Certificate .../> element is meant to be
configuring. Can you elaborate?

I'd first suggest:
- remove the <Certificate .../> element
- remove the trustStore* attributes
- re-test to ensure everything works as it did before those changes

Next I'd confirm that CLIENT-CERT is working as intended. The simplest
way is probably to set clientAuth="required" temporarily and make sure
that a) you are prompted for a cert and b) you can see the expected page
from Tomcat when you provide one.

If all that is working and still OCSP is not working then I don't have
any more ideas at this point.

Mark