Jerry,

On 7/19/19 13:38, Jerry Malcolm wrote:
> I have had a dedicated hosted environment with WAMP and Tomcat for
> over 15 years.  I'm very familiar with everything related to that
> environment... apache http, mysql, dns server, the file system,
> JAMES, and all of my management scripts that I've accumulated over
> the years. Everything is in the same box and basically on the same
> desktop. But now I have a client that has needs that are best met
> in an AWS environment.

Can you explain that in a little more depth? What is it about AWS that
meets their needs better?

I ask because you can provision a one-box wonder in AWS just like you
do on a physical space with a single server. You just have to use
remote-desktop to get into it, and then it's all the same.

But if they want to use RDS, auto-scaling, and other Amazon-provided
services then things can get confusing.

So the answer to your question really depends upon what the client
thinks they'll be getting by you taking your existing product "to the
cloud".

> I understand just enough AWS to be dangerous, which is not
> much.... I do know that it's a bunch of different modules, and I
> believe I lose the direct file system access.
That heavily depends upon how you do things. You can get yourself a
server with a disk and everything, just like you are used to doing.

> I've watched an AWS intro video and a couple of youtube videos on
> setting up TC in AWS. But they always starts with "now that you
> have your AWS environment set up....".   I am looking for something
> that explains the big picture of migrating an existing WAMP+TC to
> AWS.  I am not so naive to think that there won't be significant
> rip-up to what I have now. But I don't want to do unnecessary
> rip-up just because I don't understand where I'm heading.
> Basically, I don't know enough to know what I don't know.... But I
> need to start planning ahead and learning soon if I'm going to have
> any disasters in my code where I might have played it too loose
> with accessing the file system directly in my dedicated
> environment.
>
> Has anyone been down this path before and could point me to some
> tutorials targeted to migrating WAMP+TC to AWS? Or possible
> hand-hold me just a little...? I'm a pretty quick learner.  I just
> don't know where to start.
As usual, start with your requirements :)