Greetings Everyone;

A quick update to the folks who I have interacted with on the list
(you know who you are and I thank you).

I got all of my applications and sites migrated from Tomcat 7.x.x to
Tomcat 9.x running on Ubuntu 18.04 and Java 8.  Lots of fun work with
the firewalls, databases, and email servers (DKIM, SPF, and DMARC are
something else).

Overall, I was kind of disappointed to find out that Java 11 doesn't
include activation and jax libs, but it sure was fast once I included
these things in my lib folder.  That said, I thought it might be
better to revert to Java 8, which bundles and unit tests these
libraries.  So, that's what I did.

But yikes .. the startup times are now very slow .. sometimes two
minutes.  I understand that this might relate to the need of the JVM
to initialize for random number seeding.  Is this true?

What other strategies should I be looking at to make the bounce more
zippy?  I deploy two smallish war files (<5MB, about 160KB Java
Services code)

I noticed several recommendations for different random number seeding
strategies, but they came with warnings relative to the quality of
encryption.  What else might be done that doesn't compromise
encryption quality?

I would like to push back my Java 11 upgrade until I have a good
longer term strategy for jax and activation libraries.  Thoughts?

Glad to have made it through the upgrade .. it really wasn't very
painful at all.

Sincerely,

John Dale
DB2DOM