Hi all,

When sending an http request to https endpoint logs the following SEVERE in
tomcat 9.0.24,

29-Aug-2019 13:34:40.088 SEVERE [https-jsse-nio-8443-exec-10]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$ConnectionHandler.process Error reading
request, ignored
java.lang.NullPointerException
at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$NioSocketWrapper.getSslSupport(NioEndpoint.java:1392)
at
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$ConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:853)
at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(NioEndpoint.java:1593)
at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SocketProcessorBase.run(SocketProcessorBase.java:49)
at
at
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThre

Here is my connector configuration,
    <Connector port="8443"
protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol"
               maxThreads="150" SSLEnabled="true">
        <SSLHostConfig>
            <Certificate certificateKeystoreFile="conf/wso2carbon.jks"
certificateKeystorePassword="wso2carbon"
                         type="RSA" />
        </SSLHostConfig>
    </Connector>

When analysing the tomcats code, I have figured out this occurred after an
improvement done to "Include failed TLS handshakes in the access log"[1].
But I could able to find out which causes the SSL engine to be null.

Is something wrong with my setup? if not can we fix this SEVERE level log
as someone can flood our logs by sending the HTTP request to the endpoints?

[1] -
https://github.com/apache/tomcat/commit/acf6076d7118571ebc881984b96792f861b72bb2

Thanks and regards,
Senthalan
--
Senthalan Kanagalingam | Senior Software Engineer | WSO2 Inc.
(m) +94 (0) 77 18 77 466 | (w) +94117435800 | (e) sentha...@wso2.com

<http://wso2.com/signature>