On August 31, 2019 7:31:12 AM UTC, Dave Thorn <da...@fysh.org.INVALID> wrote:
>On Sat, Aug 31, 2019 at 05:13:06AM +0000, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On August 30, 2019 8:34:02 PM UTC, Dave Thorn
><da...@fysh.org.INVALID> wrote:
>> >
>> >That looks, to me, like the stream is missing the [\r][\n] between
>the
>> >B50 chunk and the 3FC0 count.
>> >
>> >I'm not clear on where the responsibilities lie in producing that
>> >chunked output - Spring in my webapp, or Tomcat as my container?
>
>> I'd also recommend repeating your test with Wireshark to confirm
>> that the server doesn't send it and that you aren't seeing a client
>> side bug.
>
>Thanks.  The only problem with that is the intermittency of the
>problem.  The server processes a hundred thousand requests a day, or
>so, and the problem only occurs a scant handful of times in that.
>I'll talk to our admin and see how feasible it is to do that and still
>be able to process the results.

I was thinking run Wireshark on your client machine rather than the server.

>There is also a haproxy between client and server.  You wouldn't think
>it goes fiddling around in the middle of a response, thought.  I'm
>running some tests today that go straight to the server, skipping the
>proxy, but again with the intermittency...

Indeed. Chunking is sufficiently fundamental that I'm surprised that any
component has a bug in this area.

>> I took a quick look at Tomcat's ChunkedOutputFilter and I don't see
>> any obvious way the \r\n could be skipped but a strange edge case
>> isn't impossible.
>
>Looking at my access log file for yesterday, the test scenario made
>5375 requests, and if I look for those in the log, they all have the
>same response size:
>
># cat /opt/apache-tomcat-8.5.8/logs/localhost_access_log.2019-08-30.txt
>| grep 'various-identifiers' | awk '{print $10}' | sort | uniq -c
>   5375 970304
>
>Could that suggest that Tomcat responded with the same response every
>time?  If it dropped a "[\r][\n]" then that response size should be
>different, shouldn't it?

I'd need to check that and I'm on my phone right now. I don't recall which byte
count gets logged.

 > Although I suppose if it could be being
>corrupted by a bug then it might be possible that the response size is
>calculated in a way that isn't affected by that hypothetical bug?

That is certainly possible.

Mark