Config files are straight out of the box as Tomcat is deployed under JBoss 4.0.4.
The web.xml file for the application has the obligatory:
        <jsp-config>
                <taglib>
                   <taglib-uri>http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core</taglib-uri>
                </taglib>
                <taglib>
                   <taglib-uri>http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/fmt</taglib-uri>
                </taglib>
        </jsp-config>
Thanks for any help. If you need more information, please ask.
I had thought that someone must know of some manner in which Tomcat's support for JSTL differs from Jetty's.