On 7/5/06, Alec Swan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
In any case I don't understand why this works in your case.

Now that I have more coffee in me, me neither :-)  It really shouldn't, and
I'm at another location now, so I can't revisit that, but...

The problem is that "relative" to the container depends on how your JSP
is being invoked; consider:

        <servlet>
                <servlet-name>Test</servlet-name>
                <jsp-file>/WEB-INF/jsp/Test.jsp</jsp-file>
        </servlet>
        <servlet-mapping>
                <servlet-name>Test</servlet-name>
                <url-pattern>/test</url-pattern>
        </servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-mapping>
                <servlet-name>Test</servlet-name>
                <url-pattern>/foo/bar/test</url-pattern>
        </servlet-mapping>

The second mapping will work with your ../../css/Styles.css link, the
first will not.

BTW, why do you think it's a bad idea to keep web designers focused on the look
and feel of the site and releaving them from the deployment details?

OT to the list -- but I think a development team should work within a
common (consistent) environment. Otherwise you wind up jumping
through the kind of hoops we're discussing now. :-)

In any case, if I *had* to solve this problem, I'd use the relative links
that work for your 'static' situation, and then either

1) serve all *.css files with a servlet that "fixes" the paths or
2) rewrite the css file paths with a Filter

HTH,
--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ [EMAIL PROTECTED]