Zahid,

On 1/6/20 04:55, zahid wrote:
> 00000000000000hhhhh
>
>>> Have ever heard of *which* in windows ? Yea, no "which" - but
>>> have you tried "where" on Win? Could also use a "for" in Win
>>> (if you understand how to do it).
>>
>> kub18@UB18:~$ which java /usr/bin/java kub18@UB18:~$ whereis
>> java java: /usr/bin/java /usr/share/java
>> /usr/share/man/man1/java.1.gz kub18@UB18:~$
>
>> There is no "which", "whereis" or "find" because window users I
>> have file explorer, it is a GUI, It makes  use of the screen
>> attached to the computer.Kubuntu , KDE  are catching up with MS
>> windows. Ummm. Linux came *after* Unix.
>
> there is  a rumour flying around that Linus Torvalds stole the
> kernel source code.
>
> I guess the chicken had to come first to lay the egg , for an egg
> thief to steal the egg.

Easily debunked by looking at the source code of both. Linux looks
like Linux. BSD looks like UNIX. I can start a rumor that Linux
Torvalds stole the code to the Windows kernel.

>> Okay, no "find" but have you tried: dir /s <drive:>\<pattern> ?
>
> windows explorer is another name for GUI no command line tries
> needed.

Let's agree that you like Windows and others do not. This is not an
argument worth having here.

>> Because it's terse (BTW, the dash is supposed to be connected to
>> "cp", as "-cp")
> I use the compiler as a spell checker or as some refer to it as
> syntax checker. If I do not leave a space between - and cp then the
> syntax checker would have nothing to do ......   you could try
> grammarly maybe.
>
> -cp <class search path of directories and zip/jar files> -classpath
> <class search path of directories and zip/jar files> --class-path
> <class search path of directories and zip/jar files> A : separated
> list of directories, JAR archives, and ZIP archives to search for
> class files.
>
>> You missed one - the CLASSPATH environment variable Rwong -
>> Class-Path is used in the Manifest.
>
> No  MR R."WONG" you missed all the points. Put a dot in your
> CLASSPATH
>
>> Because it's descriptive and self-commenting
> I guess all those *.nix argument flags like ls -a -A -b -B  are
> examples of Software Engineering Naming Conventions at its best.

Have a look at Powershell and all the command-lets or whatever. They
are moving toward UNIX-style command-line power because Windows
administrators have been complaining since the beginning that Windows
is a PITA to use.

Most UNIX-style programs have a short option (for brevity) and a long
option (for readability). When you type an option on the command-line,
you don't want to have to type forever. You learn the shortcuts.
Nobody wants to type "ls --display-long-output-format" so we do "ls
- -l". Similar to "DIR" on MS-DOS/Windows CLI. Look at all those
single-letter options, there.

> java -cp was too hard to figure out so you had to have a more
> description version java -classpath. I thought maybe it was because
> you want to get paid by the number of letters you type.
>
>> No, but that's because the security model in Windows is
>> *different*
> "chmod" is like taking the house keys away from house owner,
> strange idea of security.

I would argue the opposite: it's handing them the keys.

> That is my view. I hope you appreciate I have a right to a view
> point.

You have a right to a view, and you can troll all you want. But you
will be ignored.

> You could always chmod 777 * and you will have MS WINDOWS friendly
> user experience.

There is no need to execute a TXT file. Why make the file executable?

What about a .EXE file that you deem dangerous? Maybe it's a trojan or
whatever. You need the file around for some reason but don't want
anyone to execute it?

Or the opposite? You want to be able to execute a .py file. AFAIK, you
can't do that on Windows. You have to run "python foo.py".

It's convenient to both be able to enable and disable executability on
a file, not based upon its file extension but some arbitrary criteria
you decide.

- -chris