Am 2020-01-09 um 01:34 schrieb Christopher Schultz:

All,

For anyone who has experience with LDAP in Java, I need a little help.
I have some code connecting to an LDAP server and doing all the
wonderful things I want to do, but I'd like to customize the
SSLSocket(Factory) that gets used by the connection to e.g. limit the
cipher suites, provide client certs, a custom trust store, etc.

I've done some Googling and it looks like I can do this:

     props.put("java.naming.ldap.factory.socket",
                "com.example.CustomSSLSocketFactory" );

But that means that my CustomSSLSocketFatory class must have
hard-coded (or statically set) values for the various settings. Yuck.

The Tomcat code (for JNDIRealm) supports customization for STARTTLS,
and that appears to be able to use a custom SSLSocketFactory
*instance*. But it looks like that requires the use of STARTTLS which
I do not need. I'm working with LDAP-over-TLS.

Has anyone worked with Java's LDAP code enough to know if this is
possible and/or how to do it? I know I can fall-back to a hard-coded
or statically-configured SSLSocketFactory class but I'd prefer
something a little more explicitly-configurable.

Chris,

STARTTLS != LDAPS. STARTTLS is an LDAPv3 extension with its OID. The cients requests this in-band and the server, if supported, switches to it.

Please clarify why you are mixing a custom socket with STARTTLS?
Do you want to customize the socket or modify the STARTTLS negotiation?

Michael