Xavier,

On 1/29/20 3:23 PM, Xavier (Apache) wrote:
> Hello Tomcat list,
>
> I’m struggling with a classpath problem. I have a webapp deployed
> under Tomcat. I have setup multiple tests (3 to be exact). They are
> all running 9.0.20, one under macOS, and the other 2 under Debian
> (same version for both). My app requires the jar lib to be loaded
> in a specific order. What I was able to gather so far is that I
> should do that customisation in myapp/WEB-INF/context.xml (it looks
> like I don’t need to tell Tomcat to look for that file)
>
> I’m looking for some sample code to better understand how to do
> it.
>
> So far I tried
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <Context
> docBase="\webapps\CloudManager"> <Loader
> className="org.apache.catalina.loader.VirtualWebappLoader"/>
>
> xxxxxx and yyyyyy are jar files in myapp/WEB-INF/lib/xxxxxx.jar
>
> but without any luck.
>
> I’m probably missing something obvious, but I just can’t find it.

Tomcat has no facility to force the loading of specific JARs in a
specific order. There has been no consensus that e.g. "alphabetic"
ordering should be enforced. There is no (servlet) spec-defined order,
either.

If you have some special libraries that must be loaded before others
(rather than a complete and total ordering), you can use the
<PreResources>[1] facility to establish a directory where some
libraries are loaded first. I suppose you could use many PreResources,
in order, to achieve a total ordering, but it will be a lot of typing.

The VirtualWebappLoader has been deprecated for a long time. I can't
even find the class in any currently-supported branch of Tomcat.

- -chris

[1]
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/config/resources.html#Nested_Com
ponents