Chris,

With "having control on the server but not on the application" I meant that
I could make changes on the server, but I have no control to make
modification on the application code.
My concern with the changed Chrome behavior regarding the same site cookie
attribute (https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5088147346030592) is that
assuming "lax" as default value of the same site attribute would break some
specific authentication scenarios. Here I am concerned particularly with
the same site attribute of the JSESSIONID cookie.
In a valve I can modify a header when the valve is invoked and before it
calls the next valve in the chain, but at that time the JSESSIONID cookie
may not be issued yet. And when the control comes back to the valve on the
way back it may be too late to change the header value.
In Tomcat 8 and above the same site attribute can be specified as a
configuration to the CookieProcessor implementation. Is it possible to
achieve this reliably in Tomcat 7?

Lazar