Jon,

On 2/12/20 12:34 PM, Jonathan S. Fisher wrote:
> So the manager would be this, I've noticed it uses the
> StandardSession, which explicitly prevents serialization of the
> user principal and auth type:
> org.redisson.tomcat.RedissonSessionManager

Thank you.

> Two questions, on org.apache.catalina.Session, do the values
> getNote and setNote replicate across the cluster by default?

No, but it's important you understand that you don't have a "Tomcat
cluster". You have whatever you get when you use
RedissonSessionManager. I guess you could call it a "Redisson
Cluster". A "Tomcat Cluster" does indeed transmit user Principals
across the cluster to other nodes. the fact that Redisson isn't really
a bug in Tomcat.

> I'm curious if we could solve this whole thing with a valve that
> copies the principal into the org.apache.catalina.Session or the
> HttpSession.
Possibly.

> Next, Chris are you saying RedissonSessionManager should use their
> own implementation of StandardSession that preserves the
> principal?

Not necessarily.

But if Redisson is responsible for handling session data around your
cluster, then it needs to actually do so. Note that packaging-up the
whole session object and blasting it around to the other nodes isn't
exactly recommended technique. That's why (a) you don't see
StandardSession saving its Principal when it's serialized and (b) the
DeltaManager/DeltaSession don't work this way. They are called "delta"
because they send only the differences around to the other clusters.

Redisson could certainly propagate user Principals around the cluster
if it wanted to do so. Implementing it there would make much more
sense than changing Tomcat's StandardSession serialization mechanism
to include the Principal and then sending the whole session during
every interaction.

> I guess I never got the questions answered, why isn't this the
> default behavior? It seems tomcat goes well out of its way to *not
> serialize *the principal. I was wondering if there was a reason
> for that.
It might be surprising to find that your credentials are stored on the
disk when you write a session there. This is a security consideration.
If you want to get around that restriction, you have to work for it.