On 04/03/2020 06:45, Stephen Hames wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Apologies for the very late reply here.  I had to set the upgrade aside
> temporarily...
>
> Steps to reproduce:
>
> server.xml snippet
>
>         <Listener
> className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.JmxRemoteLifecycleListener"
>                 rmiRegistryPortPlatform="10001"
>                 rmiServerPortPlatform="10002"
>         />
>
> java options:
> -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false
> -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=true
> -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.password.file=../conf/jmxremote.password
> -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.access.file=../conf/jmxremote.access
>
> When I try to connect with valid credentials using Jconsole, the error
> observed is: non-JRMP server at remote endpoint
>
> If I add catalina-jmx-remote.jar from tomcat 9.0.14 to $CATALINA_BASE/lib,
> and restart, I am able to connect without issue.

The refactoring in 9.0.16 introduced an additional configuration
requirement:

-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.registry.ssl=false

I'll get that added to the documentation.

It is worth noting that with current JVMs there is no need for the
JmxRemoteLifecycleListener at all. All of the configuration options it
provides are now available via system properties. Details at:

https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/monitoring.html#Enabling_JMX_Remote

Mark