On 13/03/2020 13:54, Chris Cheshire wrote:
> Using 9.0.31 on Java 8, I have my AJP connector configured as
>
> <Connector port="8019" protocol="AJP/1.3" URIEncoding="UTF-8"
> secretRequired="false" />
>
> According to the logs, this is defaulting to the NIO protocol.

Correct.

> The
> connector comparison chart [1] implies that NIO2 is used for 8.5x
> onwards.

No, the Tomcat version line in that chart indicates from which version
onwards the connector is available.

> Shouldn't the AJP/1.3 protocol alias be using NIO2 by default (I don't
> have APR/native installed)?

No. It should use NIO.

> What are the fundamental differences
> between the two protocols?

They work in fundamentally different ways (NIO - Poller vs NIO2 -
callback) but for AJP, the actual difference in terms of performance,
scalability etc is minimal. Personally, I'd stick with NIO.

Mark