On 29/03/2020 08:11, Amit Pande wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I was exploring Tomcat configuration which doesn't accept requests until the
> web application is deployed.
>

> "bindOnInit" connector attributes when set to false, makes socket bind when
> the connector starts and not when the connector is initialized.
>
> Wanted to know, why the default value of this is not set to false?  What are
> the use cases where the default of "true" is useful?

When you want to change the connector configuration (stop, change
config, start) without refusing any new connections. Typically reverse
proxy scenarios. There should be some discussion on this in the archives
(quite a while ago now), I think around the time the feature was introduced.

> Setting this value to false, I could see "connection refused" error on client
> side when they made requests to Tomcat when the application deployment was
> in-progress.
> When this is set to "true", all requests during when the application
> deployment wasn't complete, I could see failed SSL handshakes in access logs.

That indicates that the time taken for the applications to deploy
exceeds the client read timeout (or write timeout if it is trying to
post something bigger than the network buffers can hold).

Mark