On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 10:57 PM o haya <ohaya1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think I figured out what is going on.  I think that the parameters were
> working all right, but the memory that is shown by the "free" command isn't
> corresponding to the JVM memory.

[ snip ]
You beat me to the punch. Linux "free" cannot be used reliably in some
situations, esp with Java.

(BTW, I hope you're not running TC as the root user.
  I see references to the root user in your CLI output)

You could use the visual (GUI) tools, such as "jvisualvm" or "Mission
Control" (jmc).
Both of these provide a wealth of JVM memory usage, including GC.

You could also query for the info at the command line
* using "jps -lvm" (NOTE: this is without the facility of JMX)
* you could run: java -XX:+PrintFlagsFinal -version | grep -iE
'HeapSize|PermSize|ThreadStackSize'
for example (output)

user@stimpy:~/bin/jdk180-221/bin> java -XX:+PrintFlagsFinal -version |
grep -iE 'HeapSize|PermSize|ThreadStackSize'
    intx CompilerThreadStackSize                  = 1024
                    {pd product} {default}
  size_t ErgoHeapSizeLimit                        = 0
                       {product} {default}
  size_t HeapSizePerGCThread                      = 43620760
                       {product} {default}
  size_t InitialHeapSize                          = 1052770304
                       {product} {ergonomic}
  size_t LargePageHeapSizeThreshold               = 134217728
                       {product} {default}
  size_t MaxHeapSize                              = 16835936256
                       {product} {ergonomic}
   uintx NonNMethodCodeHeapSize                   = 7594288
                    {pd product} {ergonomic}
   uintx NonProfiledCodeHeapSize                  = 122031976
                    {pd product} {ergonomic}
   uintx ProfiledCodeHeapSize                     = 122031976
                    {pd product} {ergonomic}
    intx ThreadStackSize                          = 1024
                    {pd product} {default}
    intx VMThreadStackSize                        = 1024
                    {pd product} {default}
openjdk version "11.0.6" 2020-01-14
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.6+10-suse-2.1-x8664)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0.6+10-suse-2.1-x8664, mixed mode)
user@stimpy:~/bin/jdk180-221/bin>