From: Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 9, 2020 1:50 PM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Re: Regarding context.xml changes impact other web service not deployed

On 09/06/2020 06:59, S Abirami wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
>      In our product to address security vulnerability in context.xml,
> we have introduced following entry
>
>  <CookieProcessor sameSiteCookies="strict" />

In which context.xml file? The global one, the host one or a web application
specific one?

> After introducing the above line, I noticed few rest service which is not
> deployed in that Tomcat also getting impact.

I'd guess not a web application specific one the

> Deployment Details
>
> Deployed :    RHEL
> Tomcat Installation format :  tar.gz
>
> Hence,  interested to know about the internal implementation of the context
> in Tomcat to understand the impact.

Global web.xml provides defaults for all web applications.

Host level provides defaults for all web applications in a given host.

Web application provides settings for just that web application.

Don't add <Context .../> elements to server.xml

Settings in more specific files take priority.

Mark