All,

I was looking at the "faster start up" wiki page[1] today and reading
about ow to disable things that are not necessary in order to improve
application startup times.

While there seems to be lots of suggestions for what configuration
options to look at, it's not actually clear how to use them.

My application uses no annotations, no SCIs, no nothing, so I want to
disable everything. It's not clear to me how to actually DO that.

There /is/ a specific example for how to disable the WebSocket:

* Add containerSciFilter="WsSci" to your <Context>

There are also specific examples for disabling web.xml merging using
metadata-complete="true" and <absolute-ordering /> in web.xml.

But what about disabling all JAR scanning? Do the
metadata-complete="true" and <absolute-ordering /> already accomplish
that? Or do you need more?

Reading the documentation for <JarScanner>/<JarScanFilter> it looks
like maybe this would work:

<JarScanner>
    <JarScanFilter pluggabilityScan="" tldScan="" />
</JarScanner>

Or maybe:

<JarScanner>
    <JarScanFilter pluggabilitySkip="*" tldSkip="*" />
</JarScanner>

Or maybe a combination of the two?

If I specify one of the above, will the JAR scan still occur (meaning,
enumerate the list of JAR files and run through them) but no JAR files
will actually be opened? Or will the scanning process be skipped
entirely if the JarScanner sees that its configuration implies it will
never do any work?

Thanks,
- -chris

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TOMCAT/HowTo+FasterStart