On 27/10/2020 04:43, Eric Robinson wrote:

<snip/>

>>> The last change to the nginx config files was on 8/21. The first
>>> report of problems from the users in question was on 9/16. There is
>>> another set of users on a different tomcat instance who reported
>>> issues around 8/26, 5 days after nginx config change. It seems
>>> unlikely to be related. Also, I can't imagine what nginx could be
>>> sending that would induce the upstream tomcat to behave this way.

If there is some sort of retaining references to request/response/etc.
at the root of this then that sort of issue is very sensitive to timing.
For example, I have had reliable reproduction cases in the past that
stopped working with the addition of a single debug statement. Any sort
of configuration change might have changed the timing sufficiently to
trigger the issue

At this point, I'd say the Nginx config change might be a potential
trigger if the root cause is retaining references.

>>> Their application was patched to a newer version on 6/5.

That seems far enough away to be unlikely.

>>> That one I couldn't answer, as we are only the hosting facility and we
>>> are not in the loop when it comes to the users' workflow, but it seems
>>> unlikely given the nature of their business.

Fair enough. That one was a bit of a shot in the dark.

<snip/>

>>> 1. Now that you have provided this patch, should I still enable
>>> RECYCLE_FACADES=true?

I'd recommend yes. At least until the issue is resolved.

>>> 2. The servers in question are multi-tenanted. There are 17 instances
>>> of tomcat, each running on a different set of ports and out of a
>>> separate directory tree, but they are all started with essentially the
>>> same init script, which exports certain site-specific path variables
>>> and executes tomcat from the specified folder structure. Can you think
>>> of any potential issues where making this change for one instance
>>> could have a negative effect on any of the other instances? Probably
>>> not, but just being careful. I will have these changes implemented
>>> during our nightly maintenance window will begin to gather relevant logs
>> first thing tomorrow!

I can't think of any side effects.

>>> --Eric
>>
>> Mark, the changes have been made per your instructions and tomcat has
>> been restarted. The debug0.log, and debug0.log.lck files were created in the
>> directory, but they currently both have 0 bytes.

Drat. That suggests something isn't quite right as the logs should start
filling up as soon as a single request is made. I'll double check my
instructions if you could double check your end.

Konstantin noted there was no source provided. I've pushed the branch to
https://github.com/markt-asf/tomcat/tree/debug-7.0.72 so you can see the
changes I made.

> Also, RECYCLE_FACADES has been enabled and I confirmed that it is referenced
> in the logs as follows...
>
> INFO: Command line argument:
> -Dorg.apache.catalina.connector.RECYCLE_FACADES=true

Great.

Mark