First, thanks once again, Mr. Schultz, for getting back to me.

I noticed something rather promising: it seems that maxThreads for the Port 443 connector were set at 150 for System "A" (problem box), but 400 for System "J" (box that's quite happy).

I've restarted Tomcat with the maxThreads bumped up to 400, and so far, it seems much happier than it was. That could have been the problem all along.

My colleagues and I also observed that yesterday, when we did *not* shut down and restart, the slowdown and the nearly-full "tenured-SOA" portion of the heap eventually resolved itself, which suggests that it wasn't a memory leak in any even remotely conventional sense of the term.

The page-faulting is a virtual memory term: on an AS/400, the entire combined total of main storage and disk is addressable (the concept is called "Single-Level Store"), and virtual storage paging is built into the OS at a very low level; a "page fault" is when a process finds tries to access something that's been paged out to disk.

As to the private memory pool, it's not that the subsystem is restricted to its private pool; rather, everything else is kept *out* of that private pool. It still has full access to the "Machine" and "Base" shared pools.

--
JHHL