On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 4:03 PM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 05/02/2021 14:45, Johan Compagner wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I already now get the first support request that our application doesn't
> > run under Tomcat 10.
> >
> > So just want to get straight how this is going to work in the future.
> >
> > i see there is a migration tool, but that is for now quite useless for us
> > because we also need to support Tomcat 9 or 8..
> >
> > We are a tool/framework vendor we don't control what our users do, they
> can
> > still be on what ever servlet container they are on. (we only require the
> > websocket implementation so that makes certain stuff the minimum)
> >
> > Is there or will there be a way that we can drop in a jar that is just a
> > "redirect/wrapper"?
>
> At the moment, no.
>
> > And then I don't care too much about if it goes from javax.servlet to
> > jakarta.servlet or the other way around.. I just want to support both
> > deployments. That our customers can dump in the generated war by our
> > tooling in any tomcat version (8,9 or 10) and it just works.
>
> There has been talk of integrating the migration tool into Tomcat 10 so
> if you drop in a Java EE 8 app it automagically converts it to Jakarta
> EE 9 before starting it.

Yes, I was thinking about having a "ee8appBase" attribute on the host
(defaults to ee8webapps, or something). Then any artefact placed in that
folder gets processed (by the HostConfig) to the regular "appBase" using
the migration tool with a direct API call, equivalent to using the CLI.
Then it gets deployed as before from "appBase".

The lack of interest about this was quite impressive ;) And it's rather
gimmicky of course, it simply adds a possible deployment failure and
inefficiency, when the user should instead process the artifact ahead of
time.

> I'm guessing you'd prefer this to having to provide separate Java EE and
> Jakarta EE versions (even if all you had to do to create the Jakarta EE
> version was run it through the migration tool).

I'm a bit skeptical that it will be possible to avoid having native Jakarta
versions forever.

> On a related topic, it would be helpful to know if the migration tool
> successfully converts your app.

+1

Rémy