From: Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 2, 2021 2:50 AM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Re: Reg: caching allowed setting in tomcat

Attention: This email was sent from someone outside of eClinicalWorks. Always
use caution when opening attachments or clicking links from unknown senders or
when receiving unexpected emails.

On 01/03/2021 16:03, Jalaj Asher wrote:
> I see that the cachingallowed setting is primarily for static content caching.
>
> But considering my application we have a lot of static content data resulting
> in almost 100 to 150 MB of heap memory being used because of this caching.
>

>    1.  Is there any way to do this caching on disk ?

What would be the point of that? That static content is already on disk.
It is being cached in memory to improve performance.

>    1.  My static content is being cached in the browser on client end . any
> negative repercussions that I should be aware off if I disable caching on the
> tomcat end ? for eg will it impact jsp compilations on the tomcat ? I assume
> not as they are not static but wanted to confirm.

JSP source is static content. Disabling caching may impact JSP compilation time
but OS level caching may mitigate that. There many variables that impact
performance. The only way to get true sense of the impact is to measure
performance with caching enabled and disabled and compare the two.

Generally, deploying your application as a WAR file with unpackWARs="false" has
the biggest negative impact on performance. If you deploy with
unpackWARs="true" or as a directory then I suspect the difference will be
minimal.

Mark

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE TO RECIPIENT: This transmission contains confidential
information belonging to the sender that is legally privileged and proprietary
and may be subject to protection under the law, including the Health Insurance
Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). If you are not the intended
recipient of this e-mail, you are prohibited from sharing, copying, or
otherwise using or disclosing its contents. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently
delete this e-mail and any attachments without reading, forwarding or saving
them. Thank you.