André,

On 4/6/21 05:53, André Warnier (tomcat/perl) wrote:
On 06.04.2021 00:45, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
If you are not running a reverse-proxy in front of Tomcat, then it does absolutely nothing for you.

If you *are* running a reverse-proxy in front of Tomcat, then it *may* do something for you, depending upon what software you are using and what its configuration is.

Thanks.

Hmm. We have *something* on one of our cloud servers, that has Tomcat sitting behind httpd (on the same box), and we have load balancing (through a couple of AWS Beanstalks) on our cloud-based product, but I don't know if the AJP port is involved in any of that.

I don't know about AWS Beanstalks

They almost certainly do not support AJP.

but for Apache httpd, there are some tell-tale configuration directives in the Apache httpd configuration files, which - if present - will tell you if Apache httpd is communicating with the back-end tomcat using the AJP protocol (and hence tomcat's AJP Connector).
Look for either of :
- ProxyPass instructions mentioning "AJP:"
- SetHandler jakarta-servlet
- JkMount
(case does generally not matter)

+1

Shortcut :
- comment-out the AJP Connector in the tomcat configuration
- restart tomcat
- and wait for desperate support calls

:)

(*) This is not a critic : it is very flexible that way; it's just a bit more work to search for the right files.

You can also run httpd and have it dump the list of all included files:

$ apachectl -t -D DUMP_INCLUDES

It seems silly that "apachectl" doesn't have a "--dump-effective-configuration" option which just dumps out EVERYTHING, as httpd would see the complete configuration.

-chris