On 06/05/2021 14:36, Mark Thomas wrote:

<snip/>

It's probably worth us taking some time to adapt markt's SO answer there into a whole section on "Protocol Abuse and Protection Features" in the HTTP/2 configuration guide.

There is an open issue for Chrome:
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1000809

but there hasn't been much movement.

I'll add something to my TODO list to see what can be done to avoid false positives like this as it looks like short sequences of small packets can occur depending on how the client buffers data.

I've been doing some testing with both Chrome and FireFox and it appears that the behaviour of both has changed and that Tomcat's current overhead protection is likely to get triggered in normal usage.

I'm currently investigating different overhead settings. I am trying to achieve the following:

- a steady stream of normal requests should result in a steady fall in the overhead count (it currently results in no change over time)

- the occasional "silly" frame (such as 2 30 byte data frames in the middle of a 700K upload) should not trigger the excessive overhead protection

- there should be a greater range of possible values for overheadCountFactor other than 1 (normal), 2 (aggresive) and (>2 nothing will work)

- additional debug logging so it is easier to track the current overhead count and what is driving it

I hope to have something in time for the July release round.

Mark