Sampath,

On 8/9/21 01:45, Sampath Rajapakshe wrote:
In our case, we know the reason for the pool exhausted behaviour,
there are slow queries and also due to high TPS where pool is not
enough. So we are expected to get pool exhaustion with current
configurations.
Ok.

What we wanted to verify was the behaviour after pool exhaustion. Do
the current executing connections continue their executions during
pool exhausted duration?
I would not expect the connection pool to actively kill connections unless explicitly configured to do so. Usually, connections that are "orphaned" will stay that way, "just in case". If you aren't seeing exceptions being thrown due to "connection is closed" or some such thing, you are probably okay as far as the long-running queries are concerned.

Do you know in advance which queries will take a "long time"? Perhaps you'd like to use a different connection pool for those long-running queries -- one where the timeout is significantly higher.

As per our observations, they do not, and connections are stuck
without executing any queries until maxWait. is that the expected
behaviour after pool exhaustion?
Let's be clear what we mean when we say "connection". The only "connection" here that is relevant is the "connection to the database." It sounds like you mean "incoming HTTP connection" whose thread will stall if a DB connection is not immediately available from the pool. That may be true, but the "(HTTP) connection" isn't waiting for a DB connection; the request-processing thread is waiting for a DB connection.

Do you mean "behavior of connections checked-out and used long-term" or do you mean "behavior of the pool when all connections are checked-out and we need a NEW one?"

I assume the second question is what you are asking.

When all the connections are being used, the pool usually stalls, meaning that your code will just sit there a wait (possibly forever) for a connection. To fix that, you'd have to adjust the configuration of the pool (e.g. add more possible connections, increase maxWait to avoid errors). You can also usually configure the pool to allow connections which are checked-out and not returned after a certain period of time ("abandoned" to use the Commons-Pool terminology) to be allowed to "leak" and replenish the pool.

You didn't say which pool you were using, so I will assume you are using the default DB connection pool based upon Apache commons-dbcp2. Here is the documentation for that pool; you can use these configuration settings on your <Resource> element in your web application's META-INF/context.xml file:

https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-dbcp/configuration.html

I recommend looking at the "abandoned"-related configuration options.

-chris

On Sat, Aug 7, 2021 at 3:43 AM Christopher Schultz <