Jon,

On 11/16/21 12:55, jonmcalexan...@wellsfargo.com.INVALID wrote:
I meant the other configuration files. I guess I haven't dug deep enough, but
DOES Tomcat handle the catalina.properties, catalina.policy,
logging.properties, etc. files hierarchically similar to how Microsoft handles
web.config files? CATALINA_HOME being the parent and Instances automatically
inheriting from the Parent unless overridden at the instance level in its conf
folder?

Basically can I publish a parent catalina.policy file and NOT include one in
the instance?

My presentation says you need your own if you want to use the security manager. Looking at catalina.sh, it always uses CATALINA_BASE for that purpose, but it could be detected at runtime. Patches are welcome.

When using the Windows Service runner, the path to the catalina.policy file is captured in the Windows Registry, so you can't detect it on the fly. That path must be passed-into the launching JVM, so by the time Tomcat gets chance to observe the situation, it's too late to make any changes.

So if you were to change this in catalina.sh|bat, you'd want to make a similar change to service.bat to auto-detect the (current) situation and store the appropriate path in the registry, understanding that any change to the file-layout would require a refresh of that stored-info.

-chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2021 11:39 AM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Re: How to *properly* create and use a CATALINA_BASE installation

Jon,

On 11/16/21 08:55, jonmcalexan...@wellsfargo.com.INVALID wrote:
I too would like to know more of what Chris is sa­ying in regards to the conf
folder.

You mean conf/[engine]/[host]/[webapp].xml? This is just "standard"
deployment descriptor stuff:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-
doc/config/context.html*Naming__;Iw!!F9svGWnIaVPGSwU!-
J4ClOAv1FBlpqrYFufoMLwNKP7MYp1SNF2n56QIN2gbaVLDGedI1-
_HG16mI1aNMIUDsoU$

-chris

Thanks,

Sent with BlackBerry Work

(https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.blackberry.com__;!!F9svGWnIa
VP
GSwU!-J4ClOAv1FBlpqrYFufoMLwNKP7MYp1SNF2n56QIN2gbaVLDGedI1-
_HG16mI1aNO